Gabriella
Posted by

Minnie Mouse First Birthday Party

minnie mouse birthday party

Saturday was the Tiny Dancer’s first birthday and I decided to go with a Minnie Mouse theme. All of the Minnie Mouse birthday stuff in stores is in pink – I don’t know why since Minnie wears a red dress. Sooo, I had to take a DIY approach to the partay – which is fine because I really love the way it turned out.

I started out by making a mood board and doing some research on what my options were – it was my first kid’s birthday party :)   We kept it pretty simple – not too many guests.  Since Asiya is only one she doesn’t have many friends so we just had family over to celebrate her first birthday.  We had dinner at a restaurant and then came home for cake and birthday gifts.  It was a lovely time and wonderful to reflect on the past year and see how far she’s come.

Here’s a breakdown on the decor and party supplies…

Invitations

diy minnie mouse birthday invitationI made the invitations based on some that I had found online.  I made a template that includes the Disney font that you can download for free if you want to give it a shot.

Here’s what you need: white paper, black card stock, oak tag or poster board, hot glue gun & glue, red/white polka dot ribbon.

diy minnie mouse birthday invitation

Steps for making the invitation: (1) Customize the text (either in Illustrator or Word – I included two different templates depending on the program you’re using); (2) Print the invitation on the white paper.  Cut out the solid line (the Minnie ears)  and use that as a template for the black portion of the invitation); (3) Trace the invite on the black paper and cut out; (4) Cut the white on the dotted line (the circle with all the info); (4) Use a hot glue gun to glue the white paper on to the black paper (centered where the face would be); (5) Tie a bow and use the hot glue gun to affix the bow to the invite.  Repeat…

Cake

minnie mouse birthday cakeI ordered the birthday cake.  I’m not very adept when it comes to frosting and I knew I wanted fondant details like the polka dots, ears and bow so I went to a local bakery with some pictures of what I had in mind and they did a great job whipping it up.  I also added some Amaretto Cookies, Fresh Strawberries and NY Cheesecake to the dessert mix.

Table Runner

minnie mouse birthday partyI found red cotton fabric with white polka dots at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts.  I bought enough for the length of my dining room table and measured the width that I wanted (I used a runner that I have as a template).  I finish off the edges on a sewing machine for a clean edge.  If you don’t know how to sew, I would just cut the ends with some pinking shears – the fabric won’t fray (as much) and you’ll have a cute border on the runner.

Table Setting

minnie mouse birthday balloonsSince Minnie Mouse is often seen with daisies I opted for white and yellow daises – fresh flowers always make a table setting look beautiful.  I also purchased a small cluster of balloons from Party City for the table.  I brought the balloons to the restaurant and then brought them home for dessert.  Since the Tiny Dancer’s birthday is close to Memorial Day, there were lots of party supplies in red/white and I was able to find red with white polka dot napkins and plates that matched perfectly with the theme.

Birthday Banner

minnie mouse birthday partyI ordered the banner from The Birthday House on Etsy.  All I had to do was run the ribbon through and hang it up.  I had some extra ribbon so I added some bows on the ends and as spacers in between each word.  I suppose if you wanted you could DIY the banner based on the invitation template above but the banner was only $20 and it would take you a very long time to cut all that stuff out – the way I see it – my time is more valuable than $20/hour so it was cheaper for me to buy it.

Minnie Mouse Ears

minnie mouse birthday partySince it was a Minnie Mouse theme, instead of getting the Tiny Dancer a party hat, I got her official Disney Minnie Ears.  They were adorable for the party, and she’ll get to use them whenever we go to Disneyland.

The party was a lot of fun and the Tiny Dancer enjoyed herself.  It was a nice creative outlet to plan the party and I can’t wait to plan more parties for the Tiny Dancer!

47 Responses to “Minnie Mouse First Birthday Party”

1. Jessica says:

She is so adorable! Happy belated birthday Tiny D!

2. Yee says:

omg! Cute, everything is so cute! from the Cake to the invites, and of course lil dancer, she’s so beautiful! Love the minnie ears! Happy belated birthday!

3. Lee Marc says:

This is so cute!!! I never thought Minnie Mouse would still be a great blow! So cute! Thanks for sharing this! So cute and simple!

4. ciara says:

wow!!! Everything looks amazing!

I am in the same position you were, i cant get any red minnie mouse invites, accept photo prints. Your invites look amazing. if only someone out there made these as i have no time on my hands.
    could you maybe made some for me, i will pay you. Or have you found anybody since then who does make something similar. I am having the exact same theme, but finding it hard to get red minnie mouse.

5. Kristi D says:

I was trying to figure out what to do as far as the invite goes, and then, I found your site. You are AMAZING!!! Thank you SO much for the template and font!!!!

6. Lauren says:

Hey I was wondering what envelopes you used the the invites?

• GDK says:

Hi Lauren,
      I didn’t use envelopes because I didn’t mail the invites – I just personally gave them to people. If you’re mailing them try going to a specialty paper store where they have many different envelope sizes to choose from and see if you can find one that works. I hope that helps.

Best,
      Gabriella

7. Kristi D says:

I already told you how amazing you are for giving us that free template and font, but I thought I’d let you know that I linked back to you from my blog! I’ve had several and just started up again (made a new blog)…so I thought I’d let you know! :) It’s http://prettybowandsuperheroes.blogspot.com/.

• GDK says:

Hi Kristin!
      Awesome, thank you! The invitation turned out great and the party was so cute and it looked like the kids had a great time!
      :) Gabriella

8. Deb says:

I love your invitations, I was just wondering though where you got the downloadable font, I can’t seem to find it?

9. Lenore says:

THANKS so much!! I’m super excited. I thought of doing a flat oak tage bow because I am mailing them. Going to add white oak tag polka dots. Thinking they will look FAB!!! Thanks so much for sharing, you are fabulous!!!

10. Jung says:

OMG!! This is great! I’m going to do a Minnie Mouse theme for my lil monster’s first birthday! I’m so with you on that pink and white! She’s totally red and white! Thanks for the templates and fonts!

11. kamila says:

hi, love the ideas i want to make the invites but i can’t access the link with your template, what type of program sall i use to open the file?

12. Sherri Stokes says:

I am so glad I came across this! What cute ideas! I can’t download the invitation template – is there any way you could email it? Thanks so much for sharing the font link too. Thanks!

13. Sherri Stokes says:

Sorry typo on my email. :)

14. Amen says:

hey there! first of you are amazing! i noticed on your invite that you live in the san jose area. i wanted a similar cake for my daughter’s first birthday and was wondering which bakery did your cake? hope to hear from you soon!

• GDK says:

Hi Amen,
      I used Amia Bakery in Fremont – http://www.yelp.com/biz/amia-bakery-fremont. The cake was delicious and they did a pretty good job with the decorations. I wish they did a better job with the polka dots and the spacing but the cake itself was delicious and the ears and bow were adorable. I go back to them for all of my cake needs. :)

Happy Birthday to your little one!

15. Jessi says:

I would love to make my own Minnie Mouse invitations for my daughter’s birthday but it will not let me use the template. Help?

• GDK says:

Hi Jessi,
      What kind of issue are you having? Are you able to download the template? Open it? At what step in the process are you running into issues?

16. Luciana says:

I absolutely love the invitation’s you created.
    Thank you so much for sharing the idea!!!
    My mum bought all these Minnie Mouse party stuff for my little girl’s party and I was looking for invitations online. I actually intended to buy some, but there is nothing this cool, nowhere near it…
    Tomorrow I will be heading off to the stationary, get all the bits and pieces and get crafty!

17. Zayra says:

Love your invites! Everything is so adorable! Im also doing a Minnie Mouse themed party for my daughter. I thought these invitation ideas were cute! I just cant get the bows to come out right :( Could you help me?

• Gabriella says:

Hi Zayra,
      I know, making bows can be difficult. They take a lot of patience because even if they look like they won’t come out right at first you need to make little adjustments until it’s just right. I found a link that goes through the bow making process step-by-step that I found helpful. For the invitation you’ll want to make the first bow in the article. I hope that helps!

18. ella says:

hai. thank you for your sharing. im from indonesia, and i really like your share. i want to ask u, how to make the minnie bow? thaks

19. Michelle says:

Gabriella,

I am so thrilled to have found your site. Our daughter is turning 2 the end of March and loves Minnie Mouse. These invitations will make the party and including the template and font info is amazing!
    Michelle

20. Ashley says:

So I downloaded the font and the template but the tops of the words are cut off. Do you know how to fix that?

21. Melissa says:

Love the imitations!! Would you please email me the template? Also what step do you use the poster board?

Melissa

• Gabriella says:

Hi Melissa,
      If you click on the red text in the first sentence it will allow you to download the template. In the directions where I say “black paper” I mean black poster board. I hope that helps!

Best,
      Gabriella

22. Fredericka says:

How long does the ribbon have to be for the invitations?

• Gabriella says:

Hi Fredericka,
      I’m sorry, I don’t remember, I just experimented and made one bow while the ribbon was still on the roll. When I made a bow I liked, I cut the ribbon, un-did the bow and measured.

23. Desiree says:

I couldn’t get the template to work do you know if it works on windows 8?

24. Michelle says:

I love these!! My little is turning one I’m planning on making the invitations witH your template but I can’t seem to be able to download it or the font?? If you could email me the template and the link to the font please? I would appreciate it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks