Are you a mama? Well, there’s an app for that… several hundred that is. Apps for the iPhone and iPad are being added every day. I remember searching for breastfeeding apps a year ago and only finding 2-3 and now there are well over twenty apps to help you keep track of feedings. At this rate, it’s hard to figure out which apps are keepers, and which you should just pass by. So, I spent a day on iTunes (quite literally, it took me all day!) to see what the best iPhone/iPad apps were for pregnant moms, babies and new moms. I have not gotten around to trying every single one, but I compared the apps to other apps like it and made my selections based on user reviews. At the end of the day, we all have our preferences so try them out and see what you like best. Many of the apps are free and many have “lite” (free) versions. All of the Apps listed below are available on iTunes. I hope this helps make your life easier!
Best iPhone/iPad apps for Pregnant Ladies (in no particular order):
- What to Expect – Pregnancy – just like the book, but on your phone. Very handy with daily updates.
- Maybe Baby & Maybe Baby Lite – fertility, period and ovulation tracker. I used an app similar to this to keep track of days when the husband and I were trying to have a baby. If you want to try it for free, try the lite version and then if you like it you can buy the full version.
- 50,000 Baby Names – as soon as you find out your pregnant, I guarantee you one of the first things you’ll think of is what will I name the child? This free app will help you figure it out while you’re in line at the grocery store.
- Pregnancy Buzz by The Bump – brought to you by TheBump.com, stay informed and connected at every stage of your pregnancy.
- New Mom – a reference that takes you from thinking about getting pregnant to being a new mama.
Best iPhone/iPad Apps for New and/or Nursing Moms (in no particular order):
- iBreastfeed - brought to you by the breast pump company Medela, iBreastfeed is an excellent and the most complete app. It includes tips on breastfeeding, a log to keep track of babies eating, sleeping and diaper changes, and helps you find breastfeeding and pumping friendly locations.
- Nursing Log - keep track of baby’s nursing.
- Baby Geek - records and analyzes just about everything the baby does, keeps track of immunizations, displays growth charts and much more.
- Breast Feeding Friend – keep track of baby’s nursing, includes timer.
- iBaby Feed Timer - keep track of baby’s nursing, includes timer.
- Nickelodeon ParentsConnect FunOnTheRun – an excellent resource of fun things to do with the family.
- Breastfeeding – keeps track of what side you should nurse.
- Pocket First Aid & CPR from the American Heart Association – resource for first aid procedures, manage first aid checklist, store medical and insurance information.
- Baby Buzz - brought to you by TheBump.com, this app give you expert tips and real-mom advice on everything baby.
- What to Expect – Baby – just like the book, but on your phone. Very handy with daily updates and tracker.
- BabyPhone Deluxe (Baby Monitor): Use your iPhone as a baby monitor- your phone records babies noises and calls you on a secondary number if baby makes a noise that exceeds a designated level.
- Baby Care Video Guide for New Parents – a 24-hour video how-to resource for new parents covering everything from feeding, sleeping, crying, doctor visits and more.
- Eat Sleep Pro: Simple Baby Tracking – keep track of baby’s eating, sleeping and diaper habits.
- Pump@Work – helps keep track of pumping, storing and providing the right amount of milk to baby.
- Baby Massage Basics - how-to and info on baby massage.
Best iPhone/iPad Apps for Babies (in no particular order):
- Bubbles Magic – create bubbles and pop them without a sticky mess!
- Bubbles – touch a bubble to pop it
- Nursery Rhymes – 21 popular nursery rhymes at your tips so you can read to your baby.
- Nursery Rhyme with StoryTime – nursery rhymes with illustrations; StoryTime allows you to read a story to your loved one from anywhere in the world.
- Baby Touch & Hear - entertain & educate baby with 143 different sounds of animals and tools.
- My Baby Einstein – Baby Einstein (aka baby crack) on the go!
- Peek-A-B00 Baby Rattle – shake the phone and an animal will appear and make an animal noise.
- Infant Visual Stimulation – 120 black-and-white pattern images for babies.
- Zoola Lite – learning fun with animals – includes pictures, sounds and songs. (The Tiny Dancer loves this!)
- White Noise Lite – white noise app with everything from static to fans to airplanes. This app was indispensable during the Tiny Dancer’s first three months. The static noise put her to sleep and kept her asleep!
- Baby Rattle – 123 – shake the iPad/iPhone for an endless surprise of animations and sounds.
- Baby Rattle Toy – changes your phone into an interactive rattle for baby.
- Baby Sleep - lullabies to make your baby sleep.