The holidays are coming and that means two things: gifts and holiday parties. Since I’m trying to save my pretty pennies for gifts for my family, I’m trying to get glamorous for the holiday parties on a cheap and cheerful budget. Thankfully, drugstores like Walgreens have come a long way baby and you can find any beauty product you might be looking for right in the cosmetics aisle of your local store. I recently went to Walgreens to get some inspiration for amazing party looks and came up with 5 ideas in 5 minutes. Here they are…
1. Nail It! Nails are having a moment – long gone are the days of only pink and red nail polish. You can paint your fingertips in virtually any shade of the rainbow. Just figure out your ensemble for your holiday parties and pick out a fun contrasting color – matchy matchy is no fun. When in doubt some silver or gold glitter says “holiday cheer” like no other.
2. Bat Your Eyelashes! I wish I were one of those girls who could wear false eyelashes all day every day but alas, I’m not. False lashes up the glamour factor instantly. So, for special occasions like holiday parties I like to go the extra mile and put on the lashes. Just remember that if you’re playing up your eyes, try to keep your lips and cheeks subtle.
3. Wing It! I’m a huge fan of winged eyeliner and since it’s been popular for a while now (thank you Amy Winehouse for the revival) many cosmetics companies not only offer liquid eyeliner with easy applicators, they offer an array of colors. Basic black is always pretty but you can go for green, blue or purple. This year, I’m going with gold!
4. Pucker Up! Nothing completes a look like lipstick or lip gloss. After not being so popular for many years, lipstick is making a comeback. Opaque lips, especially matte ones, are very on trend right now. I love the look of a matte red lip for the holidays (or anytime for that matter) but red lipstick is not for everyone. If you want something more subtle or with some shine, you can’t go wrong with lip gloss. From very natural to very bright, from matte to super shellacked – your lip color will complete your makeup look.
5. Pile It Up! If you look on the runwways and fashion magazines you’ll notice that hair is up. Whether it’s a high ponytail or a low side bun, up-dos are popular now. Fortunately the hairstyles that always seemed so difficult to master are getting easier with a few handy tools. I personally want to try a low side bun this holiday season – with these tools, I’m not afraid anymore!
I hope these tips inspire you to come up with amazing party looks of your own! Happy Glamorous Holidays!