I love watching home makeover shows because they are so inspiring. It’s amazing what someone who knows what they are doing can do with a few thousand dollars. Though I like to daydream about making over my home it’s at times not realistic. I don’t have interior designers and carpenters knocking at my door – do you? And while you can’t hear enough what a fresh coat of paint can do, it’s a bit of a process no? I’m looking for practical easy ways to enhance my home without breaking the bank (or my back). I figured I must not be the only one who wants to spruce things up a bit so here are my easy ways to enhance your home.
The best way to enhance your home is to appeal to your senses. Here are my top tips to enhance your home – one sense at a time…
People by nature are very visual so don’t fight it. Your home needs to look nice and inviting.
- Tidy Up. Clutter can literally drive you mad. For me a cluttered house is a cluttered mind. It’s amazing how tidying up can make you feel better. But don’t stop there – that’s just the beginning.
- Play with lighting. If you have dimmers, use them. If not, buy some candles to create some mood lighting.
- Fresh flowers. Nothing brightens up a room the way fresh flowers do. I buy flowers at my local farmer’s market for $3!
- Hang a wreath on your door. I’ve made a few and when the season changes, I swap out my wreath. It’s the first thing you and your guests see when approaching the house and it makes the home really welcoming. See some ideas on how to make a DIY Autumn Wreath, DIY Spring Wreath and a DIY Valentine’s Day Wreath.
I’ve heard that scent is one of the strongest ties to memories – so think of happy times in your life and the scents that accompanied them (grandma’s apple pie, tropical vacation, etc).
- If you bought candles and opted for scented, make sure you choose a scent that you and your family will love.
- Glade Expressions® Fragrance Mist and Glade Expressions® Oil Diffuser – I was asked by Glade to give these two products a try and I really enjoyed them. I opted for the Fuji Apple & Cardamom Spice scent for the Glade Expressions® Oil Diffuser because I thought it was a yummy scent that was appropriate for the Fall season. The scent of apples and cinnamon make me thing of pie, Thanksgiving and coziness so I put the Oil Diffuser in my living/dining space and in less than a days time the scent wafted throughout the house very subtly. For the Glade Expressions® Fragrance Mist I opted for the Cotton & Italian Mandarin scent because chances are, if I’m spraying air freshener I want it to smell clean and that’s exactly what the Cotton & Italian Mandarin scent evokes.
You want the things you touch to feel good against your skin – and this time of year, you want to be warm!
- Invest in seasonally appropriate throws, area rugs and pillows for your living room. This is a great way to add color (visuals) but make sure that they feel good to.
Sound can immediately put you at ease or agitate you. Let’s go for sounds that make us relax.
- Play some music! Turn off the TV and other appliances that make noise and put some music on. I always try to have some music in the background.
- If music is not your thing, you can get a noise maker or CD that plays the sounds of nature – I especially love the sound of waves crashing and the rain.
- Wind chimes! My daughter loves these and if you’re in an outdoor space, hearing the wind chimes in the breeze is lovely.
A tasty treat makes everything better!
- Make sure your pantry is stocked with snacks and/or ingredients that you can make into something delicious.
- Bake cookies (this is excellent for enhancing scent too!)
- For ideas on yummy dishes to make, check out my recipes for any occasion.
I hope you found these tips helpful and easy. You don’t have to do everything at once – you can tackle one sense at a time. Enjoy!
Glade Expressions® Fragrance Mist comes in a stylish holder that releases a longer-lasting, finer mist of fragrance. The gentle mist creates layers of true-to-life fragrance that opens up note by note. The artfully designed holder blends with your décor for a burst of fragrance that’s always out and available. Just squeeze to spray; then refill the holder with your favorite fragrance.
Glade Expressions® Oil Diffuser releases a long-lasting fragrance for up to 30 days without the hassle of electricity. The spill-proof oil diffuser infuses layers of true-to-life scents throughout even the most open living spaces. The trendy holder matches décor perfectly, making it a convenient and stylish home-fragrancing option.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Glade via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Glade.